Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Kidney Stone Experiment: Successful

I received a phone call from my brother in law Jessie after he had hear of my condition. He proceeded to tell me about a home remedy he had read about online. Something to do with Coca Cola. It didn't sound too bad and at this point I was willing to try anything, so off I went to research all about it. The remedy consists of drinking a 2 liter gallon of Coca Cola within 15 minutes. Waiting 10 minutes then consuming 8 ounces of raw pureed asparagus. Followed by lots of water.
So how does it work? The phosphoric acid in the Coke begins to dissolve the calcium oxalate stone, then the asparagus (which is a natural diuretic) help expel what's left.
I found out I had the stones last Tuesday. I decided I'd try the remedy on Saturday when Devin would be home to cheer me on.

9:05 am - I took a pain pill and began to chug my 2 liter. Not wanting to consume all that sugar or caffeine I used Diet Caffeine Free Coke which I had read worked just as well.

9:35 am - Finished all but the last glass of the Coke. Was merely impossible to do it in 15 minutes and with my stomach full of baby I was running out of room quickly. I decided to save what room was left for the asparagus.

9:40 am - By this point I can feel movement in my Kidney's.

9:45 am - Chocked down about 6 ounces of the pureed asparagus (I added a tad of salt and some lemon juice for flavor).

9:55 am - Finally! I'm done!

I sat on the couch to give it time to do its thing before I went to the bathroom. Once I couldn't hold it any longer, about 20 minutes later, (remember I'm dealing with a pregnant woman's bladder) I had to go.
Drum Roll Please............There they were. Laying at the bottom of the toilet. Around 15 little stones. And I didn't even feel any pain although I was on med's.
Note: I had been drinking water with fresh squeezed lemon juice every day prior to this. The lemon juice helps smooth out and break down the stone's.

I have had no pain or problems since. I am only sharing my story in hopes that reading this will help someone else avoid the pain and hassle of kidney stones. It's too gross and embarrassing to tell for any other reason.

15 Comments:

The Postl's said...

Yeah! I am so glad you don't have to worry about that anymore. My sister got kidney stones the last two weeks she was pregnant and I wish I would have known about this because she was miserable! Thanks for sharing. Now all you have to worry about is baking up that sweet little baby.

laurel said...

Woot! Woot!!! so happy for you. Tell your doctor, they need to pass that on. Just think, if you had known about this earlier, you would have been spared so much pain! And I am amazed that there were 15! You are a woman to go through that!

Sally said...

Wow that is amazing. So glad you are feeling better!

Glenda said...

Hurrah! I have been so worried about you and the little angel baby. You are a trooper, Rachel. I would pick you to be on my team, any day.

Claudia said...

well, that is just the strangest thing i've ever heard! Who would ever think of combining Coke and asparagus to pass a kidney stone? I am so glad it worked though! Yay for home remedies!

Anonymous said...

I am glad you posted this cause I have had people ask for remedies in the past so I will know to tell them of this experiment! :)

Requel said...

That's good to know. My father in law gets them all the time. I can pass the info along. And I'm so glad you are feeling better.

hooli said...

all i have to say is that you must have been in some serious pain to do that. i'm not sure i could. bravo. hope you feel better with every day and you never get any of those again.

Sara said...

i am so happy it worked rachel dachel! i can't imagine being in that kind of pain, let alone during pregnancy. i just wish chris had taken his own advice...especially after seeing the bill:( love you!

Cheri said...

Rachel, I am so happy that you are feeling better. I can't believe that you drank all that diet coke in such a short amount of time. My tummy hurts just thinking about it. Hurray for Chris and his home remedies and Hurray that you are feeling better. Please take care of yourself. Love you tons!

Brett and Lisa said...

You are kidding me!! That is amazing! Iam so glad that they passed! What an experience. Yay for home remidies. Too bad they don't work as weel to induce labor! Glad your are doing better!

masonchrissy said...

Rachel- I am having flash backs reading your blog. My 2nd and 3rd pregnancies were miserable due to kidney stones three times a month. Life just stopped. It was the worst thing I have ever been through, and I have had many health issues but these are the worst. Did you ever get stents put in to help pass the stones? I had four surgeries to put them in throughout my pregnancy. I only wished I knew of this coke remedy back then. I am prego with number 5and praying that I miss the stones on this one. I am 17 weeks and praying. If you need anything let me know, I have been there. I need to tell Megan to let me know more. We should do lunch at chic fila next week.

Wendy said...

I just heard about this remedy today and was on the Net researching it to see if it was "real". My mom just got out of the hospital with a stone that just will not pass and she's got to go to the urologist tomorrow so I'm going to take the stuff over to her tonight to try it. Woo, I hope it works!! I'm glad to see some "real people" talking about it.

Laurie Hix said...

I had heard about this before and wanted to know if caffeine free worked as well because I am presently in pain (lower left side-first time) and figured I am willing to try anything right now. So, thank you for posting this!!

Unknown said...

Coke and Asparagus. I have a 4.4 mm stone.Cat scan revealed on Friday.Doc never called me back to tell me what i should do or to prescribe anything.
So i got 6 cans of coke room temperature. One by one i poured into a glass and stirred it til it became flat.(Just makes downing it lots easier.)Also once it was flat i squeezed the juice of a whole lemon into each glass of flat coke i drank.
1 coke per 20 minutes. Five minutes aftet what i thought was the ladt soda,
I boiled some fresh asparagus and put it in the blender and only drank 8 oz of it.
Then i looked at the table and the 6th flat soda with lemon is sitting there waiting for me and i thought awh crap i did it wrong! ?Oh well screw it ,I downed it anyway and washed the asparagus down with it.
Damn i was full. So i waited bout 20 to 30 minutes and started drinking my 8 oz of water every 20 minutes til i had drank a gallon.Damn this takes about Four hours to complete.i was so full tired and ready to pass out.Never threw up though i wanted to.Kept trying to walk around the house.
I dont know if this worked. Held pee till after ladt coke and Asparagus.Peed allot. Very clear water looking urine.
No more dark urine.But i never caught a stone in strainer.
Within 24 hours of duin this ,my pain left me. Which was fine by me.Still trying to preservere with lemon water and pineapple juice and oj and water water water.
I think i read that you can or should only try this coke remedy every 3 days if necessary.I guess if pain comes back I'll try again.....God bless all....preservere...help and love one another....peace...