Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Shake, Rattle and Roll


Before and After

Before and After
We experienced our first California Earthquake today. It happened just before noon. I was on my way to meet Devin for lunch when I got stopped at a red light. A few seconds later the car moved as if we had gone over a quick but big hill. I even thought for a second someone rear ended me. For over 20 seconds street signs, lights and all the cars started swaying. Crew was fast asleep in the back seat. I was scared but thankful I was in my car. The epicenter was in Chino Hills, about 30 miles east of L.A. Only a few miles away from our home and about one mile away from Devin's work site. Dev was in his job trailer when it hit. He jumped up from his desk to get away from the filing cabinets.  The quake was initially reported as a 5.8 magnitude but has been down grated to a 5.4. It was felt in San Diego, slightly in Las Vegas and into Tijuana and is the biggest earthquake since September 2004. More than a dozen aftershocks have happened. One which rattled my whole apartment about an hour ago. Fortunately, the only damage that I found when I came home was Crew's truck hanging of the self and my rod iron wall hanging, hanging away from the wall rather than against it. 


    

7 Comments:

Cheri said...

That must have been really scary. I am so glad that you guys are all safe.

Sara said...

mom just told me about this- crazy! good to hear you're all okay, i guess that means that you better move back...before you fall into the ocean:)

laurel said...

We are so glad to hear you are safe. I hate earthquakes!

suburbanbrunette said...

I'm so glad you're oK. Crazy!

Mama Megs said...

oh my gosh! I'm glad you guys are ok!

bman said...

Didn't the store clerk tell you to keep Crew in the basket with you. That looks like about 5 minutes of Crew play.

Jessica said...

Glad you guys are okay! This is Jessica(Lamprecht) I was a neighbor of devin's growing up. Hope you don't mind me looking at your blog. Crew is such a cute little boy! Hey is your toy storage thing from ikea? If it is do you like it, i have been debating on whether to get it, but i have a sister in law who has it and hates it.