Devin and I completely fell in love with Amsterdam. The style and the architecture are ones you don't find in the US. Transportation is by bikes. They are everywhere! Which makes it nearly impossible to drive.




My favorite thing about Europe was the history. There are so many amazing cathedrals and castles (which will come later in the trip).


The Diary of Anne Frank is the 2nd (Bible the 1st) most published book in the world. The tour included the Opekta warehouse and offices and the Achterhuis. Some personal relics still remain. Movie star photographs glued to the wall by Anne and a section of wallpaper where the girls marked their growth.


The wooden shoe has been worn throughout Europe since The Dark Ages. (News to me I thought only the Dutch wore them)! People still wear them in Holland because of the swampy ground.
In 1808 a woman gave birth to a baby boy. Following the birth she took the baby to a ditch where she attempted to bury it. Shortly after a man was walking by when he heard, "a distinct sound from a ditch." After following the sounds he found a little foot sticking out of the dirt. The mother fled and was never found but it has recently been discovered who she was. The father is still unknown and the baby was raised by other families. He was given the name Petrus van der Sloot, (the first VanderSloot). The word Sloot means from the ditch. This is the gravesite of his sons wife.

















6 Comments:
Keep telling us more. I love it.
PS: Does Crew miss me?
I guess a strong will to survive (and succeed) is in your dad's blood! Neat story.
(born on my birthday day... weird)
Tell us more! It looks like a wonderful time- I'm completely jealous!
Looks like a lot of fun! I can't wait to hear all about it when you get back!
Love, Love, Love the pictures!!! Thanks for sharing and I look forward to lots more - can't wait!
How beautiful! Glad you had a wonderful time.
Post a Comment