Monday, October 19, 2009

NOT Fresh off the Vine

When I was younger, I remember my mom taking us to the actual-pick your pumpkin off the vine Pumpkin Patch. Does anyone do that anymore? There are only a couple of patches like that, that I found located throughout Southern California. None of which are close to us. The bogus patches are full of pumpkins that are already gathered from the field and are 17 bucks a piece, mini carnival rides with creepy workers that you don't dare take your kids on. And a petting zoo that consisted of a goat, a sheep and three chickens.

Whatever happened to hay rides and corn mazes?



Once we got home, Devin and Crew cut open the pumpkin and began the gutting process. The first handful of seeds that Devin pulled out made Crew totally dry heave. After that he wouldn't go near it until it was complete.




8 Comments:

Glenda said...

Well, even if your experience at the field wasn't quite so nostalgic as it should have been, the end product is pretty spectacular! I still think it is really funny that Crew has such an active "gag reflex."

laurel said...

Great looking pumpkin! We carved ours last night. I guess there is a benefit to living in Utah in the fall and winter. The pumpkin patches you discribed are everywhere.

grandma GiGI said...

Hey! there's an artist in the family!

Mama Megs said...

I totally agree! I loved picking my pumpkin off the vine when I was little. Your kids are so dang cute :)

Sara said...

oh i love crews face! devin is withering away... make him some lard battered cookie dough or something:)

Unknown said...

Sooooo cute i love it! finely looks like she belongs in a pumkin patch!

The Postl's said...

I know! I went to Oak Glen last year because it was a "pumpkin patch." I was so disappointed to find nothing was growing on a vine, they were all just cut and brought to where we were. Your pumpkin turned out cute though!

Cheri said...

We are going to do our pumkins as soon as our daddy is back in town. Looking at your pictures is getting me all the more excited to carve our own if it is going to get colder here at least there are fun holidays like Holloween and Thanksgiving to keep us entertained. We should move closer to you so we can have the best of both worlds. hugs to you all.