Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Food Chain Lesson


I came home the other night to a praying mantis on the doorstep. Devin threw it in a jar for Crew and he was thrilled to find it the next morning. First, he named him Mac. Then he insisted on feeding him. We gathered a few ants and a dead fly from the back yard and threw them into the jar. Mac didn't touch them and Crew was everything but satisfied. Then we found a little black spider, scooped it into the jar and within a minute Crew was yelling at me that he had bitten off the spiders head and was sucking out his guts.
YUCK!



Later that evening I had convinced Crew that it was time to let Mac go. My sister Sara and her family were passing through town and had stopped by our house. Crew and his cousins went in the backyard to let Mac go. Crew said his goodbyes and placed him on the edge of the fence. Then right before their eyes a lizard came from out of the bushes, grabbed Mac by the neck and ran off with him. Crew was practically in tears.
That's when the food chain lesson came in.

5 Comments:

Glenda said...

Ahhh. My Sweet little Crew....Life's hard....

laurel said...

I am so sorry. I am sure Crew was really upset. Ia m even more sorry because I am laughing. Not at his hurt feelings, but dang, what were the chances that would happen!

Afton said...

Im cracking up..

Unknown said...

HAHAHAHA oh my gosh!! I would be crying my eyes out right now if I didn't know I was coming tomorrow for two weeks AND i just might stay for the rest of my life!!

hooli said...

Oh I wish I could have seen that. Who says there is no comedy in tragedy!?!?!? That was great. Thanks for sharing.