Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Life Goes On

I'm an extremely light sleeper. For example, I get woken up from Crew's little footsteps walking into my bedroom at night.

Last night I was woken up to our bathroom door being closed. When I looked up I could see the light from the bathroom shining into the hallway. Knowing that it was just Crew who had woken up to go to the bathroom, I laid my head back down waiting for him to finish his business and come get me to tuck him back into bed. I heard the toilet flush and the door open and was waiting for his head to pop up on the side of my bed to say, "Mom will you tuck me in?" But the seconds passed and I heard no footsteps. So I got up to see what was going on and when I couldn't find him anywhere I looked into his bedroom. There he was sitting up in his bed straightening out his blanket preparing to cover himself up. Then he did and he laid down to go back to sleep. Now I think most moms would rejoice at this milestone. But for me, I didn't mind getting woken up to his precious face asking me for help. It was just another chance for me to hold and kiss him. So when I saw that he had tucked himself back into his own bed, my heart broke and I thought, he doesn't need me anymore. There in the hall at 3am I had a moment. It wasn't my first moment and I know it won't be my last. I never thought mothering would come with so many precious moment and be so fulfilling.

The other night Devin asked Crew what they should get me for Christmas. And Crew's response was, "Lets wrap ourselves up like presents and when mommy opens us, we'll jump out and give her Christmas kisses."

He hit it right on. There could be no greater gift.


5 Comments:

grandma GiGI said...

I've felt that so many times in these many years. So sweet, it made me cry.

Curtis and Kate said...

That's so cute! I wish my four year old would do that.

Anonymous said...

I really cannot handle this. Did I tell you how hard I cried at Toy Story 3? Baby steps to independence.

hooli said...

killer... it's really sad isn't it? he'll always need you.

Cheri said...

Okay, you just can't let an 8 month pregnant mommy read that post without some sort of warning. I have been crying for the past 10 minutes and it took me 6 just to read the post through the tears. Crew and Fin have one of the best mom's in all of forever,they are growing up to be so adorable and so independant. We love you and them so much. Thank you for sharing your tender feelings that ring so true in every mommie's heart at one point or another.